First day of practical work

Today I started work on a binding that I had been given (to conserve) last year by a private gallery owner. After a year of umming and ahhing I made the first cut.
The proposal I had written was ok’d, and I had documented it over the summer. Not sure how, buy hopefully I can post the proposal and documentation form on here as well as some photos.
It needs a lot of work, even though outwardly it looks in good condition, the paper is very discoloured and acidic and the owner wants it to be rebound from a full paper into a half leather.
I started today by removing both the boards and taking off as much as possible of the spine. I also made up a solution of 2% methylcellulose in distiller water which is what I will use (in poultice form) to remove the rest of the spine and it’s adhesive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s