Angelo Finished!

I apologise for being so lax in posting recently. Everything is rather busy at the moment, what with the final project at Camberwell plus MANY other things!

On a very positive note, I’ve finished Angelo! (pause for applause…!). It’s been handed back to the owner, and he’s very happy with it, which I’m very relieved by!

So where was I….

After the leather went on, I used a large piece of waste paper as a template for the covering marbled paper. This overlapped the leather on average by about 4mm, unless it needed to be neatened up in some places. The marbled paper we then cut out – with the grain direction going the same way as the boards.

Marbled paper cut out, before pasting.

This was then pasted out with WSP and turned in on the 3 edges and left under boards and weights until dry, and then the other board was done.

Marbled paper, pasted and turned in.

Once the marbled paper had dried, the turn-ins were trimmed down and the inside of the board was lined with cartridge paper with the grain running in the same direction as the board – which counters the pull on the board from the marbled paper.

The endpapers were then pasted to the boards, and left to dry under boards and weights.

Pasting out the endpapers.

The next job was to tool the leather. I had decided that because I wasn’t going to replace the gold stamped label on the front board, I would tool in gold the title and date on the spine, as well as add a blind double fillet roll along the edges of the leather on the boards, and either side of the raised bands. Thank you very much to the team at COA who let me use their tools, gold and stove. I’m not sure if these photos show up the blind tooling, but hopefully you’ll be able to see the gold titling on the spine.

Finished binding, front board.

Tooled and finished binding, spine edge.

After the binding had been finished, the owner asked me to make a slip-case for it. I used the instructions from Kathy Abbot’s Bookbinding, A step-by-step guide, which worked perfectly except, because the book wasnt square, the case was a little loose. To counter this, I glued 2 pieces of 2mm plastazote onto the boards that made up the side walls, which encased the binding snugly.

Slipcase pressing.

Finished slip-case.

Ta-Da!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s